Over the years Dave’s handled an array of complex commercial disputes for his clients and won his share of battles across the country. His business litigation experience reflects the diversity of his client base, ranging from multimillion dollar contract disputes for global technology clients to partnership disputes for local start-up companies. But regardless of the issue and amount at stake, the firm’s approach to business disputes is constant as Dave strives—in every case—to combine practical business sense with an early understanding of each client’s ultimate goal so that he can work as efficiently as possible towards that end.
Dave has helped try cases to both juries and judges, handled disputes in a wide array of non-judicial forums, and penned appellate briefs in both the state and federal courts. Given the sophistication of his clientele, Dave often finds himself squared up against the nations’ largest and most prestigious law firms. When the need arises—and it sometimes does given the firm’s modest size and busy caseload—Dave partners with like-minded practitioners (often big-firm refugees) to ensure his clients’ interests are not buried in the mountains of paperwork his opponents often produce.
Scroll down for a sampling of Dave's more recent commercial litigation engagements:
- Successfully defended technology placement firm in breach of contract action filed by subcontractor (AAA)
- Defended Fortune 100 technology company in action alleging multi-million dollar breach of distribution agreement (N.D. Cal.) (court granted our motion to dismiss)
- Obtained victory defending JASDAQ-traded network technology company against claims of breach of investment agreement, intentional interference, and fraud where plaintiff requested $340M damages (AAA)
- Defended officer/board member of special effects company in action alleging breach of fiduciary duty (D. Minn) (court granted motion to dismiss)
- Represented leading wireless technology company in lawsuit against former distributor for breach of contract (N.D. Cal.) (court entered $2.2M default judgment)
- Advised early programmer for leading social networking company on potential breach of contract action against company’s co-founders
- Defended online language learning company in action alleging securities fraud and breach of contract in investment context (Los Angeles Superior Court) (case settled)
- Represented plaintiff video technology company in copyright suit against foreign customer (N.D. Cal.) (case settled)
- Advised foreign textbook publishing company in breach of contract dispute with State of California’s Department of Education
- Represented individual in defamation suit against former employer (C.D. Cal.) (jury found defendant liable for over $100k in damages)
- Represented VoiP provider in breach of contract/indemnification action against service provider (AAA) (case settled)
- Defended franchisee of national restaurant chain against ADA compliance action (N.D. Cal.) (case settled)