The firm generates most of its business from referrals, and many of those referrals come from senior executives Dave’s successfully represented over the years. The range of issues he’s handled for more than fifty senior executives over the past few years is as varied as issues which executives and entrepreneurs face each day as their careers evolve.
Executives seek Dave’s advice on a host of issues at the inception of their new endeavors, including evaluating the risks associated with competing against their former entities and/or hiring their former co-workers, helping them negotiate and review their new employment documents, and helping them craft the most risk averse action plan in forming their new entity while still on someone else’s payroll. Dave also often represents entrepreneurs asked to serve as either part-time consultants or on advisory committees.
During the employment relationship executives seek Dave’s advice on general employment matters including compensation issues, perceived discrimination and/or harassment, and the availability of certain whistleblower protections. However, Dave’s most active area representing executives concerns the termination of one employment relationship and beginning of another, where he’s often called on to lead severance negotiations both behind the scenes and in the foreground. Dave helps advise departing executives on both their continuing obligations to the old company and their right, moving forward, to fairly compete against former employers. More recently executives have engaged Dave for advice when they’re not quite sure where they stand in their respective organizations due to corporate developments beyond their control. The firm’s executive clients are loyal and routinely refer their colleagues to Dave for advice, proof that his growing experience advising executives from leading technology companies can serve as a valuable tool for the mobile leader.
Scroll down for some examples of Dave's recent executive representations:
- Represented board member accused of breaching duty of loyalty for hiring company’s employees
- Represented founder/CEO of cloud-based video platform services company in negotiations for sale of his business
- Defended founders of internet start-up company in lawsuit filed by co-founder claiming unpaid wages and breach of fiduciary duty (Santa Clara County Superior)
- Represented more than ten senior executives from Fortune 100 technology company in transition/severance negotiations
- Advised founders of biotechnology company on formation/IP issues
- Represent former board member/officer of VoIP communications company in acquisition-related breach of fiduciary duty/contract action against former company and its board members (Santa Clara Superior)
- Represented founder of health care analytics company on IP issues and later in negotiations for sale of his business
- Represented executive team from venture focused on low-income housing tax credit investment in connection with formation of new entity
- Represented co-founders of IP litigation data/analytics and online health awareness companies in separation negotiations
- Represented senior sales executive from Fortune 100 technology company in severance negotiations amidst threatened Sarbanes-Oxley violations
- Represented numerous executives in negotiations of advisory/consulting roles with various start-ups